Watch the Full Video:
Goshen Historical Society – Millrace Walking Tour Video
The panel then dove deeper into some of these places, along with stories and anecdotes related to the ongoing evolution of the Millrace as an engine for Goshen’s development.
Northern rail laterals
Filling in the race
Tailgates and powerhouse
The Murray Barn
Flooding and breaching
An end to swimming
Other questions and topics explored at the event:
- How much industry was present when the hydraulic canal was constructed, and why did industry begin to move away?
- Why was the canal built in Goshen and not Waterford?
- What was it like growing up along the millrace?
- What happened to the fish ladder at the dam?
- How has the millrace been maintained over the years?
- How much have sediment accumulation and dumping debris changed the millrace?
- Has there ever been an alligator in the race?
- What future possibilities might be ahead for the millrace?